Don Bodin's Music, Life and Art Blog

Composer/Artist Don Bodin's account of real life adventures as he sails the sea of music, movies, games, art, life and living with a passion for creation and a need to pay his rent.

11/29/08

Tokyo, Japan or Domo Arigato Mr Roboto

first, these Japanese keyboards are so hard to type on so i Japanese keyboards are so hard to type on so i will make this quick.

Our first full day in Tokyo and really took it in. Got up about 4am and headed to the the Tsukiji fish market. Charlie and I had a lot of fun watching the hustle of the worlds largest fish market. Then got in line for fresh sushi and waited about 2 2 hours to get into the place. Really can't get any fresher than 50 yards from the boat doc.

Had cell phone problems, Japan has the most advanced phone system in the world so of COURSE our blackberries don't work, and we couldn't get money from the ATM, so I called my friend Brian Kemper who lives here in Tokyo.

I`ve known Brian since I was in junior high and have him to thank for convincing me to play the euphonium in high school band. This lead me to getting a scholarship to study music in college. Brian now does web and data base programming and implementation for a project for Tokyo Univ and has lived here for about 6 years. Back in junior high, Brian and I and our back in junior high, Brian and I and our friend Mike started a punk electronic band (ala Ministry meets Dead Milkmen) "The Dead Potato Heads"

Some of my first songwriting collaborations . . will have to dig up those tapes to share.

Ended up having dinner, with Brian and his family and friends. His friend, Japanese Buddhist Monk, was our host and the little bar/restraunt must have been on of his regular hangouts. The food never stopped coming and the Sake flowed freely.

The evening quickly turned to Karaoke and we were singing some of the great song hits of the last 50 years. Between Brian and I belting out Elvis and Axel Rose impersonations the 6 kids (yes I did say families) their chance to sing along to the Pokemon songs. I didn't know there were so many.

The evening ended for me at around 9:30pm with Brian and I doing a duet of Styx classic which I am sure made us look like the silly americans we are.

Fish Market, Sushi, Karaoke good first day in Tokyo

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home